Okonomiyaki Pancakes with Soy Chilli Balsamic
Okonomiyaki is a savoury Japanese style pancake that is made with a batter, shredded cabbage and other grated vegetables. From there you can add meats or whatever else you want. In fact, okonomi translates to “as you like” or “what you want” so the pancakes can differ greatly between cooks. When you order Okonomiyaki at a Japanese restaurant you are often brought the raw ingredients and you cook it yourself on a hot plate at your table. This way you get even more control to cook it “as you like”.
Makes 1-4 pancakes.
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup dashi (or water)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 of a cabbage (shredded)
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 1 zucchini (grated)
- 1 green onion (chopped)
- 3 slices bacon
- Soy Chilli Balsamic. (substitute with any of our vinegar’s)
- Kewpie mayonnaise
- Green onion (chopped)
- Mix the flour, dashi, egg, cabbage, carrot and zucchini in a large bowl.
- Heat some oil in pan.
- Pour in mixture and top with the bacon slices.
- Cook on medium heat until golden brown on both sides, about 5-15 minutes per side.
- Top with Soy Chilli Balsamic sauce, mayonnaise and green onion and slice